View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 [40k] LeGenerals Eldar and Blood Angels 
Wargaming Association Cork

Post Re: [40k] LeGenerals Eldar and Blood Angels
Johno wrote:
Woe mate are you sure? Your armies are just amazing it would be such a shame to sell them after all the effort you put into them :(

This +1

1,2,3...go

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 am

I wouldn't say "hate". But yeah, there is a few changes in there which just do not appeal to me. I lost the joy of playing. Plus some other things ("real" life issues).

But I will only sell for a good price so chances are, the stuff will stick with me a bit longer.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm
Limerick Dice Chuckers

LeGeneral wrote:
I wouldn't say "hate". But yeah, there is a few changes in there which just do not appeal to me. I lost the joy of playing. Plus some other things ("real" life issues).

But I will only sell for a good price so chances are, the stuff will stick with me a bit longer.

You never know, 7th edition is only 3 years and 10 months away...

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:31 pm
Last Chancer

These are easily some of the best painted mini's I've ever seen. I remember Nigel showing me the NMM a good while ago. Amazing models, fair play.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Mage wrote:
You never know, 7th edition is only 3 years and 10 months away...

I don't even need to wait for 7th ed. I haven't got an acceptable offer for my models but I had the opportunity to play some more games. And surprinsingly, I liked it :-). So, my favourite toy soldiers will stay with me a bit longer.

Today I got some free hours (unexpectedly) and I will do some painting. Well, first, I started to finish some Halloween decoration (I know, a bit late, bit my son will still like it):

But now, now I'll start painting this guy!

I'll keep you updated.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:18 pm
Last Chancer

I for one am glad u didn't get a suitable offer I think you were absolutely bonkers to let them go and I was sure you would regret in in the long run. Looking forward to seeing your work in the future :)

The Witchblade
Latest Post 21/07/14

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:30 pm
New Gamer

These are a brilliant showcase of models, would love to see them up close, inspirational work...

"2 wrongs make a right but 3 rights make a left..."

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 am

Hmm, after so long painting wasn't really my bag :-(. So even though I started painting Astorath that day, I didn't do much.

Anyways, next thing I'm planning in the moment is to go back to my Eldar and see how they far in sixth. Here is a list just slightly amended from what I played in 5th. Hope to give at a go soon:

Eldrad & Avatar

6 Firedragons
6 Harlequins
5 Harlequins

2x3 Jetbikes with Shurikencannon
10 Stormguardians with 2 Flamers, Warlock with flamer, in Serpent with double Shuricannon
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch, Shurikenstorm, Serpent with double Shuricannon

Wraithlord, Brightlance, Sword
2 Warwalkers, Scatterlaser
Falcon, Brightlance, Shuricannon

I'm really interested how I will perform with my Eldar. I'm not good in theoryhammer, I need to play lists, but I have the feeling I can have a lot of fun with that kinda list.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:32 pm
Last Chancer

Hey mate,

A few recommendations if u don't mind.

Eldrad and avatar are excellent. Avatar makes everything fearless so use the wave serpent for your fire dragons. Take 20 storm guardians with framers and a Warnock with enhance and run them infront of the avatar with the wraithlord running along side. Drop the bright lance from that wraithlord to make it just have a wraithsword for 100pts. 5 and 6 harlies will disappoint you. Take them as one unit of 10 with a troop master a death jester and a shadow seer to make them more survivable. I drop the falcon and take another wraithlord armed with a bright lance and missile launcher for heavy hitting. Consider taking a 10man seer council with Eldred, best unit in our codex but will cost u about 300 pts but 3+/4+ with rerolls. I would add some dire avengers too and maybe a bog standard guardian squad with a embolden Warnock to hold backfield objectives. Hope u find all that useful :)

The Witchblade
Latest Post 21/07/14

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Cheers man,

Especially the guardian defenders are on my mind, since I have 2x10 plus platform of them painted and I suppose having some stormguardians to cockblock deathstars in front of Avatar, give Harlies cover etc. is a good one. Will keep that in mind.

I have to disagree though on the Harlies. From my humble experience with my Eldar I do like the smaller squads because they are good enough to seek a fight with many units but aren't a prime target. This probably even got better with their 2+ in most cover. 10 man squads are beasts, but because they die too easily to small arms fire, I'm not fully convinced. And I'm not interested in any deathstar concept for my Harlies, so please don't propose to add Eldrad and anything else in there. In the moment I think, 2 small squads will give me a better tactical variety than one large squad.

As for the seer council: Yeah, great unit, but a) I don't have the models, and b) I don't have them painted, and c) I don't particularly enjoy the concept of deathstars. I could imagine fielding it every now and then, but not as a concept.

Thanks for the input anyways. I'll keep that in mind when I'm going to make changes after my first games. And I suppose there will be a couple of changes due to sixth ed and a completely new meta.

Let's see, I'm really excited to give them pointy ears a try in sixth :-).

Just by the way: can Eldrad use both, Divination and some Codex powers?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:54 pm
Last Chancer

Yeah Eldrad can use both. Don't forget though that eldrad doesn't have fleet of foot so if u join him to a combaty unit they will lose fleet of foot :). Oh and 10 fire dragons in that serpent is good too for taking out terminators and just 160pts :) Guide em with Eldred and that would be pretty funny. I currently run a serpent with 5 as purely tank hunters. I run two fire prisms too but even with jink vehicles just die too easy in 6th which is why I would take a shooty wraithlord instead of the falcon :) I hear what ur saying about the harlies but if they are to survive they need a shadow seer at least. I'm doing a ulthwe army in new year but I can't wait to see your skills on some eldar once again!

The Witchblade
Latest Post 21/07/14

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Sorry, Harlequins come with kisses and seer (kinda default setting).

And Eldrad not having fleet is my main concern. he is still too good not to take, but I always have to make a difficult decision. Especially since psychic outta vehicles got worse. That's another reason for me to take two harlisquads. one can babysit eldrad and work as a counterunit while the others go and hunt small enemy squats.

Just to ask that again: I could, e.g., take Doom and Fortune and also take 2 divination powers? It just sounds too good to be true. Fortune and Prescience on Harlis, Doom on target. Harhar. Or reroll your saves. Even better...

I'll probably have to disappoint you paintingwise. I'm planning on something else, so probably no Eldar soon.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 pm

So, new shiny codex in my hands I am back into the hobby. I'm even trying to get some painting time in. First on this guy :D :

Also played two games recently, and even though I lost twice against Dan the man, I REALLY like how the new Eldar play. I tried out two different lists and this one I like a lot. Feel free to take it apart.

Farseer, bike
6 Warlocks on bike, 3 spears

2*5 Dire Avengers with Serpent, Scatter laser
6 Jetbikes, 2 Cannons
5 Rangers

Crimson Hunter, Exarch
10 Warpspiders

Wraithknight
2 Warwalkers, Scatter Lasers
Night Spinner

Cheers
Burkhardt

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:20 pm

So, seeing that I actually might make it to NWG this year I have to get some painting done. This is the army I'm planning to field:

*************** 2 HQ ***************
Autarch, Eldar-Jetbike, Banshee mask, Shurikenpistol, Laserlance, Shard of Anaris ->140 P
Farseer, Eldar-Jetbike - > 115 P

*************** 3 Troops ***************
6 Guardianjetbikes, 2 x Shurikencannon - > 122 P
2*5 Dire Avengers
+ Serpent, TL Scatterlaser, TL Shurikenkatapult - > 370 P

*************** 3 Fast Attack ***************
Crimson Hunter, Exarch, 2 Brightlances- > 180 P
3 Shining Spears, Exarch, Star lance, Hit And Run - > 110 P
5 Warpspiders - > 95 P

*************** 3 Heavy Support ***************
Wraithknight, 2 Heavy Wraithcannons - > 240 P
2 Warwalker, 4 x Scatterlaser - > 140 P
Fire Prism, TL Shurikencatapult - > 125 P

Total: 1637

So I have a few points to play with.

My list of models to paint (some are already partially painted):
Crimson Hunter
5 Warpspiders
Shining Spears
Wraithknight
Fire Prism

A lot will probably only have 3 colours, but hey, at least I get full appearance points for fielding models I've never fielded before.

This is my WIP for the Crimson Hunter:

Comments welcome :roll:

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 am
Underground Gamer

Very nice indeed, looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

My Blog, The Hobby Butterfly Effect - http://thehobbybutterflyeffect.blogspot.ie
Listen to our Podcast - http://wargamingireland.podbean.com/

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:34 pm

I'd throw marksmans eye on the crimson hunter with the spare points if I were you. Twice as many precision shots on it would be nice.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I think it's already expensive enough for what it does, so adding another ten points (for a skill which you will use only rarely according to my few testgames) is not a great idea in my opinion. But thanks anyways.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am

Hey there,

NWG 2013 is over and it was really great! Even though my performance on the table was limited, to say the least, I had a lot of fun, saw great armies, met nice people. Thanks to all of my opponents for really nice games. And also thanks to the organizers for a superb event.

I thought of doing a quick write up of my games but I can't find the time to do it. Anyways, things I learned: The game is about objectives, Flying Circus is bad, Screamers even worse and the painting side of things has really geared up in the last 18 months (since Warpcon 2012, my last tournament). It was really impressive to see how nice some armies turned out! Chapeau!

Since this thread is mainly about painting, a quick update on my army. As expected I couldn't get all models finished but at least I got them legal for the tournament. So things I've painted in the last weeks (or mainly week before tournament) were: Wraithknight, Crimson Hunter, Fireprism, Shining Spears and Warpspiders. Here are pics from the tournament:

As I said, the painting level was really impressive at the event, which increased my motivation a lot to improve my own painting for NWG2014. So I'm looking forward to join ABF challenge for next year. In the moment I'm planning on finishing up the models named above and also on adding some Tau to my list. Why Tau? Not really because of the cheese (even though a well-sized cheese dick is appealing) but more because of the fact that they are completely different to paint in comparison to my Eldar. Especially I can go wild with regards to wheathering which I particularly enjoyed while painting my Blood Angels. I also thought of adding some Dark Eldar, but they're so similar to Eldar (painting wise) that I'm not too pushed to do it. Anyways, let's see what the next weeks bring.

One thing I would like to add regarding the painting scores at NWG: I really liked that painting played such an important part in this tournament but I think you should add one category to your appearance scores: painting quality. E.g. such as in Moo9 where you will get extra scores for applying advanced methods to your models (blending, NMM etc.). Sure, this is biased because I do a lot of this, but what I realised during the event is, that spending time on painting is penalised. Because when I spend 3 or 4 hours for an infantry model I do not have the time to do conversions and build a display board, so I will not get those points. Whereas someone who "just" applies 5 colours to his model can spend a lot of time doing display boards/conversions and will get full points. So the current system encourages quick and simple painting. I think this could be improved next year.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment.

Cheers

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:25 pm
Last Chancer

While i kind of agree with you I can't really see how it would work - considering the actual scoring consisted of answering tick box questions rather than a close look at the models. Perhaps a bonus point system? the armies that score max points (say this is done on day 1) are then ranked top 5 (5 points down to 1) so if there are more than 5 some will still be 50 points while the other 5 will score 51-55?

I think this would be easier to score given the size of the event etc

U

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Well, while I like your solution it would still cause problems for people who do not have the time to both paint a lot and get display board/ conversions.

The way the scoring worked for myself this time was that Darragh walked around and asked people what they have. I think he could just include

Have you got blendings? 4 points
Have you got OSL? 2 points
Have you got NMM? 2 points
etc.

Shouldn't be much more effort.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:08 pm
Underground Gamer

It is my understanding that while NWG intends to reward people for painting, they also intend that full points be attainable for the majority of people. Therefore I don't see them going that far.

My Blog, The Hobby Butterfly Effect - http://thehobbybutterflyeffect.blogspot.ie
Listen to our Podcast - http://wargamingireland.podbean.com/

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:40 pm
Last Chancer

LeGeneral wrote:
Well, while I like your solution it would still cause problems for people who do not have the time to both paint a lot and get display board/ conversions.

The way the scoring worked for myself this time was that Darragh walked around and asked people what they have. I think he could just include

Have you got blendings? 4 points
Have you got OSL? 2 points
Have you got NMM? 2 points
etc.

Shouldn't be much more effort.

I see where you are coming from and while blending could be considered I think osl and nmm cant. Certainly nmm is more a question of taste. I can do it sure but I hate the look of it and I think it doesnt make an army look better (imo).

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Fair enough, I definetly don't want to push people doing things they don't want to do.

So what about this:

There is 30 core points you can get for fulfilling Wysiwig, 5 colours, bases and squad markings criteria and then there is an open category for advanced stuff such as highlights, blendings, OSL, NMM, weathering, conversions, displayboard etc. in which you can score another 20 points but you don't need to have all of the above (because of what you said about NMM and also I personally don't like to do conversions, so I don't like to be pushed to do them) to get full points. E.g. each subcategory could be worth 5 points so if you have weathering, conversions, blendings and highlights you get 20 points, or nmm, osl, weathering, blending would be 20 points and so on.

I think this would give every player the chance to score full points for a beautiful army based on their own preferences.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm
Heroes of Legend Dublin

At Victory!Hammer. I had a lot of points for painting too. Part of the judging contained a sliding scale of points called advanced techniques which encompassed everything like smooth blendy nmm, osl. But as with everything, these can be executed poorly, or brilliantly. Plus, an amazingly blended metallic model can look just as good as one that's NMM. Hence the sliding scale judged on a case by case bases. It was purely down to how good the final result looked to how many points you got for it. I think this works best as the mere presence of a technique doesn't make a mini good.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6