Fourteen hardy souls arrived in University of Limerick on July 17th to compete in BroCon 2010 in an event that was practically guaranteed to bring about a new leader in the Irish Fantasy rankings. As well as the Limerick gamers, there was representation from WAC Cork, the Underground Gamers and the North Wexford Gamers. Amazingly, there was very few army duplications, with no fewer than twelve armies represented.
The tables were well put together, organisation was good and rule queries were answered promptly. There were few issues during play – the players played in a genuine good spirit of fair play and everyone seemed to have a good time at the tables. The event was at 1500 points and there were four rounds. Twenty battle points were available in each round, and a further five points were available for pre-registration.
Top place after four rounds went to Rob Gleasure, who follows up a win at Warpcon 2010, sixth place at BattleCry 2010, second place at Conclave 2010 with another win here. Rob brought a Wood Elf list and won with two maximum victories and two draws to earn 60 battle points. Second place went to Brian “Lenny” Leonard with his Dwarf army and Mick Wendel came in third with his Daemons of Chaos.
Overall, this puts Rob top of the Irish rankings and Lenny remains in second place – congratulations are indeed due! Special mention is needed for Mick Wendel and Andy Farrell who both made their Fantasy debuts in ranking events and finished impressively in second and fifth places respectively. I’m sure we’ll see a lot more of these guys over the coming events.
- Rob Gleasure, Wood Elves – 65;
- Brian Leonard, Dwarfs – 64;
- Mick Wendel, Daemons of Chaos – 59;
- Nigel Kavanagh, High Elves – 56;
- Andy Farrell, Lizardmen – 51;
- Richard Flood, Dark Elves – 47;
- Tristram Hills, Empire – 46;
- Gary Griffin, Ogres – 43;
- Kevin Wren, High Elves – 38;
- Rowan McLaughlin, Bretonnians – 37;
- Dan Ahern, Empire – 34;
- Gearoid Madden, Skaven – 25;
- Colin Cullinane, Warriors of Chaos – 23;
- Jason Lane, Warriors of Chaos – 17.